"The Serpent King" by Jeff Zentner



Zentner, Jeff. (2016). The Serpent King. New York, NY: Crown Books for Young Readers. ISBN: 978-0-553-52402-4

                I was reluctant to read this book and I’m not sure why. Something about the title had me fully mislead and I didn’t feel like reading something that was completely fantasy. I squinted suspiciously at it for a while before finally giving in and reading it. I was immediately draw to Dill and his very mysterious background (later Lydia explains that certain women find brooding men attractive) but not so much Lydia, who I pictured as a perky, pretty, smart, almost perfect type. I liked her better once I got to know her and her socially awkward, wittiness and her crooked teeth. Travis completes the protagonist trio and I adore him. He is his own person and doesn’t care that people might think he’s odd, which he is.

                This book shows three very different possible life-paths for seemingly normal teenagers. I won’t spoil anything, but I’ll warn you not to adore Travis. Just stop that real quick before you hurt yourself. Love Dill and Lydia and Lydia’s parents. That’s a safer bet with fewer tears.

                With Lydia, we learn pretty much all we need to know about her early on in the plot, but with Dill, we are given snippets of detail from page 1 all the way to page 296. Things get very real for him and Travis and the very-serious topics of alcoholism, physical and psychological abuse, parental pressure, prison life, cults and murder run rampant through the novel.

                I think this would be an inspirational read for a lot of young adults because there are so many aspects readers could potentially relate to. Small town life, being an outcast, losing a friend, having a loved one in prison etc.  All in all, it was a wonderful book that I will very likely have to read again (and cry over again).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?