Screencasts: For more than just healing broken computer limbs

I don't know about you, but no matter how many times I see a screencast and think it's super-dandy, I still feel daunted by the idea of making my own. Why not? Well, aside from the fact that I tend to have a chipmunk digital voice, I don't even know where to start in regards to software! How much does it cost? How much digital space does it take up? Can I share it with literally every person I know (or is that excessive)? Well, here is a start. I checked out two screencasting options: Screencast-O-Matic (sounds like something from the Jetsons) and Screencastify (recommended by a techie co-worker). These can be used to show student how to do things for themselves in the library (tutorials that get requested a lot!), to help kids with homework even when you're not around! I definitely could have used a few of these videos in High School Calculus! Also, if you have a homebound student, the ability to send videos of what you're doing could be very beneficial!

Here is my first Screencast! Bear with me, it's awkward...

Screencast-O-Matic
There is a brief software download on this one, but it didn't take long. This one seemed pretty easy to figure out. The option bar popped up on the screen and allowed me to adjust the recording size, (which might be good to edit out some advertisements on the sides/bottom/top of your cast) and you could toggle the options panel if you wanted. I liked the 3-2-1 countdown because I had no idea when to start talking! I had 3 rough starts before I got the hang of it but it was definitely easy to use. Stopping the video when I was finished was a breeze as well, since the record button was on the bottom left the whole time. Talking loudly to myself for 5 minutes was the hardest part! The videos are limited to 15 minutes, but you can always stack videos for longer processes by putting one step in each video.
 I did have a little trouble finding the app to use it again, but it became obvious once I went back to my account on the website. Clear as day, it has a "Start Recorder" option. Once I was done, it automatically uploaded to my Google drive so I didn't even have to worry about it!
Pricing can be found HERE

Screencastify
 This one was a Chrome add-on, so there was no software do download and install! Even on my computer with my 1999-speed internet, I was able to add it and use it quickly. Recording went much the same as before, except that every time I clicked something, the cursor had a ring around it, which would be very useful for high lighting certain things or making sure my cursor stood out against a busy background. Everything was great until...I was finished. I didn't know how to end my recording! It took me a few seconds at the end of fumbling around but it was quite easy. Click the same button (on the Google tool bar, top right) to end the video. Easy peasy!

Pricing can be found Here

Comments

  1. Dana, Screencastify is convenient with the Chrome add-on. It’s nice to get all the benefits from the software without having to download it to your computer. The highlighted cursor is very beneficial to the viewers. I’m surprised all screencast software does not offer this feature. I attempted to use one screencast software which my cursor was not visible at all. I found that without a visible cursor I had to explain more of what I was doing. I’d have to give the location on the screen of what I was clicking. It resulted in a longer than necessary video. Needless to say, I did not end up using that software.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much handier having that big identifier there! Kids often need the extra help when trying to follow along with a web step-by-step!

      Delete
  2. I love the tone of your blog post. It allows others to relate to the content ( I also have a chipmunk digital voice and am apprehensive about recording myself). Screencasts were my favorite to use though. Our love for teaching and conveying information prevails.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?