"It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie H. Harris



Harris, Robie. (2014). It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex and Sexual Health. Somerville, MA: Candlewick. ISBN: 978-0-7636-6871-6

                I have to admit that the amount of nudity in this book threw me for a loop at first. It seemed excessive but the more I flipped through it and read, the more I realized that it answered real-life questions that real-life kids have. It does say on the front, “for age 10 and up” and that makes sense. That seems to be the age where children have anxiety over things they don’t understand and are also developing in a way they might think is abnormal. It’s really important for them to understand that what is happening to them is normal, but that “normal” looks different to some people. This book definitely does its part to fight body dysmorphic disorders.

                Topics such as body development, pubescence, proper bathing, sex, pregnancy, babies and families are tough subjects for some parents. I have a 3-year-old and we’ve already had the talk about how some families have a mommy and a daddy, or 2 mommies, or 2 daddies or just a mommy, or just a daddy. I want my kids to be open minded but there are some topics I have no idea how to broach!

                For those other awkward parents like me, this book exists! From the moment I found out I was pregnant at week 4, I started wondering what I was going to teach my child and how I was going to do it. None of the plans ever work out quite like you think they will and I’m still dreading the “birds and the bees” talk that is inevitable. Honestly, I’m keeping this book and giving it to her in 6.5 years. I think it, with its description, friendly cartoon bird and bee (of course), and images can explain SO MUCH better than I ever could. Parents, meet your new best friend!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?