"Feed Readers" More than just advice to give patrons snacks


So this post will not directly address a book like all the others have! In this post, I will be sharing a little bit of information about a thing called a "Feed Reader."
If you are the type of person who enjoys following various blogs but does not always enjoy surfing forever to find them, a feed reader is definitely something you need! They compile the posts on as many blogs as you would like to follow and present them to you as a feed. Its almost like Facebook, but with blogs instead of friends.
There are a lot to choose from so navigate them carefully and decide which suits you better. Is it IOS friendly? Can I rate certain articles to better narrow down new blog choices? Is it free?! Will there be ads if I don't pay? Is the cost worth the convenience? As you can tell, I ask a lot of questions.
The feed reader I chose to try out was Feedly, largely because it is free but also because it reminds me of Google's email server which is easy for me to navigate. So Feedly allows me to search through blogs and choose which ones to follow and then sort them into categories so I can follow more easily when I'm in the mood for a certain topic.  It has been pretty easy for me to figure out so far and also has helpful hashtag hints in the margins to assist you in narrowing your searches. 
I chose 5 blogs to start with.
1.     Free Technology for Teachers - this blog delivers exactly what you would expect! It gives information on new apps altogether but also includes neat tricks you may not have known about with commonly used apps.
2.     The Horn Book – Many book lovers may be familiar with this one already. The Horn Book offers tons of reviews, recommendations and information about children’s books.
3.     Librarian Problems – This looks like a pretty realistic and humorous view of what it’s like to be a librarian. A little more modern than some other blogs, this one includes gifs, memes and jokes galore.
4.     A Librarian’s Guide to Etiquette – Another humorous look at the real-life workdays of a modern librarian. I think I will enjoy seeing the antics somebody else goes through.   
5.     Librarian’s Quest – “A place where students, educators and parents can exchange and express views about the best of books, new technologies and libraries.” I like that this is kind of an open forum for different recommendations and perspectives.
Feed readers seem to be pretty handy so far and I hope you give one a try! They will help you stay organized and up-to-date and organized! (see where my priorities lie?)

P.S. I also decided to share my personal Tumblr in the hopes that it will help me keep adding wonderful things to it!



Happy Reading!
-Dana

Comments

  1. The title of your post cracked me up! I also liked your comparison of feed readers to Facebook for blogs - I think this mental image would make it very easy for a newbie to envision what exactly a feed reader does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Your title is so funny and clever! You have described the purpose of feedreaders so well here! Great imagery for newbs! I appreciate the blogs you shared as well. I can really see myself becoming an active follower of Librarian Quest as a new librarian. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?