"Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood" by Marjane Satrapi


Satrapi, Marjane. (2003). Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood. New York, NY: Pantheon Books. ISBN: 0-375-71457-X
This book made me realize how little I really know about how war works. I am a product of a fairly peaceful nation (any wars I am familiar with took place over-seas) and so this showed me a completely different perspective of what could have been my childhood. Up until recently, the US has kept most war violence on foreign shores, but there has been a lot more violent activity here than in the past. After reading this book about Marjane Satrapi’s childhood of occupation and suppression, I wondered if that is the type of place my daughter will grow up in, or more likely my granddaughter.  Will she be prepared? Will she be as quick-witted and determined as Satrapi was in her youth?
Satrapi was a feisty child! She read about war, studied the history of her homeland in a way most children find punishing and involved herself in war-efforts whenever possible. Seeing her family struggle, but never let the struggle tear them apart, made me a little emotional. It struck me as unfair that they had to endure so much strife in their lives. Lack of safety, food and the constant concern for their friends and family could easily have destroyed a family and blackened their dreams, but hers didn’t falter and kept on fighting the good fight! Since the illustrations are very simple and dark, black and white, they take some of the violence out of the story. They dull it down to suit a young reader so that the reader isn’t overwhelmed by the sorrow present in so many characters.
The ending of the graphic novel was moving. The last cell shows Marjane looking back at her parents as they send her off to Austria for a better life. She sees her father carrying her distraught mother away and wishes she hadn’t looked. They managed to hide most of their pain from her and I think that made her feel very tough like she thought they were. Seeing them at this weak point had to be very painful for her.
Overall, this book was a very quick read but will sit in my mind for a long time when I do simple things. Buying groceries, putting gas in the car, wearing a favorite rock band t-shirt or even running to the Post Office with a messy, uncovered bun. These things we all take for granted, but I think reading a book like this, from a perspective like Satrapi’s can help people to appreciate the lives of ease many of us have.

Buy this Book!                                                One strong woman interviews another!
More from the Author!                                       Emma Watson and Marjane Satrapi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?