"Winger" by Andrew Smith


Smith, Andrew. (2013). Winger. New York, YN: Simon & Schuster. ISBN: 978-1-4424-4492-8

               The back cover of this book has snippets of things famous writers have said about “Winger” but I didn’t pay any attention to them. “This book broke my heart” was the gist of it. I believe in developing my own opinions, so here is my main thought: This book broke my heart!!! I cried. I had trouble reading the last few pages through the tears that made my mascara run and eyelashes stick together. Oh, my, goodness. I was so upset my 3-year-old came and hugged me. That being said, please read this book!

                Ryan Dean is our protagonist and, for the most part, he is a normal 14-year-old.  He is smart and mischievous. He plays sports. He likes girls. He thinks about sex every few minutes (or seconds). Seems pretty normal until you realize that he is a genius 14-year-old Junior in a very exclusive private high school hidden in the mountains. The book is spattered with Ryan Dean’s cartoon depictions of events and notes he writes his friends and they lend a much more personal air to the story. I honestly did not realize how often teenage boys think about sex until reading this. It is near constant. If this depiction is accurate, it is a wonder they manage to survive to the age of 18! Ryan Dean throws around f-bombs and sexual innuendos like candy at a parade! It makes him oddly endearing.

                Ryan Dean did not make me cry. Joey, his gay best friend, made me cry. In the last 10 pages or so of the novel, Joey disappears and most people aren’t very concerned. Ryan Dean and his scary, rugby roommate Becker are concerned. They go out to help find Joey and finally someone does. He is tied, naked, to a tree and had been beaten to death. After the author goes through so much effort to make us love Joey, he murders him. I was furious. I would read it again and be furious all over.

                This book is a perfect read for anybody in or related to GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) as it shows what life is like for the standard straight boy versus the standard gay boy in high school and I think a lot of people don’t really understand the difference. The fact that Joey is persecuted (heavy but accurate word) is a scary potential reality for a reader. Exposure to reality like this is important for young readers. They have the advantage of being able to gain experience from books instead of real life danger and they can learn from Ryan Dean and Joey’s experiences.

More by this author! (Winger has sequels!)
An Angry Teen Reviews Winger! (she is peeved...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?