Young Adult Literature Reflections: Genres and Formats

Image result for mind blown
Genres and Formats
            If you are not sitting down right now, please do so for your own safety. I have some pretty earth shattering news for you that will affect your life as you know it. Poetry is not a genre.
            That blew my mind. I was taught all through school that there were many genres and even have some genre posters in my classroom. But we have all been misled my friends, because Poetry is a FORMAT not a genre. The only two genres in existence right now are Fiction and Non-Fiction. This will forever change the way I teach and I will shed this upsetting light on my coworkers tomorrow. Wish me luck.

            It was very interesting to consider the pros and cons of “genrefying” a library, (even if we are kind of doing it wrong). Part of me likes the idea of readers being able to wander a section in search of something horrifying and finding something horrifying! Unfortunately, a side effect of that is that if they like “Graveyard Book” by Neil Gaiman, they might not find all of his other books in the same section! It does limit their literary adventure quite substantially because they only see one type of literature if they are not independently adventurous. We have to make sure that, no matter how our libraries are organized, we help them find a variety of reading experiences to… experience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Videos and QR Codes in the Library

When is the right season to plant podcasts?